BLOG BLOG BLOG

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Monsters are real

John Steinbeck said in his book East Of Eden:
I believe there are monsters born in the world to human parents. Some you can see, misshapen and horrible, with huge heads or tiny bodies; some are born with no arms, no legs, some with three arms, some with tails or mouths in odd places. They are accidents and no one's fault, as used to be thought. Once they were considered the visible punishments for concealed sins.
And just as there are physical monsters, can there not be mental or psychic monsters born? The face and the body may be perfect but if a twisted gene or a malformed egg can produce physical monsters may not the same process produce a malformed soul?

I don't know why horrible things happen in the world, and most importantly, I don't understand the monsters that are behind it all. How can one person be so filled with hate, so inhuman. It doesn't make sense to me.

I have been reading a lot of reports on the Virginia Tech shooter, and I am positive that I haven't uncovered the whole truth, but what I have seen makes me sick to my stomach. I just wanted to write about it, because what happened was a tragedy. The people killed deserved to live. (Did you know one of the professor's survived the Holocaust?)

I don't know, this was just on my mind. I generally try to stay out of debates. I don't think my opinion matters much when it comes to important issues. But I did want to write this little bit, in an effort to help me understand.

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger smithfieldman said...

I like the book East of Eden. I will never get man's inhumanity to man. What's the point?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home