BLOG BLOG BLOG

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Don't Show Me Your Guns

There are a few things that should probably never be talked about in the work place, unless among very close friends.
1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Sex

At the pharmacy, we break all of these rules daily, which hasn't really been a problem...UNTIL TODAY. Remember how that kid killed 32 people the other day. I was just talking about how I saw a news report about the lax gun laws in Virginia. I was saying that it wasn't right that this kid could just walk into a gun store and pick up a hand gun with only a very limited background check. Why would anyone need a hand gun in a hurry, if not to kill a bunch of people?
Let's just say that this pharmacist, who shall remain nameless, did not like my statement, even though I was merely explaining what I'd learned from a news report.
He argued with me that Virginia had very strict guns laws (which were unconstitutional) and that if more people would carry guns, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
You know what? I think that's crap. He says that when he goes to a restaurant, he wants to make sure he's protected against anything that might happen, you know, in case someone decides to rob the local Sizzler.
The problem is, what has happened in this man's life that he feels that having a hand gun in his wife's purse makes him any more safe than the rest of us. Pardon me, but I certainly don't feel safe knowing that the guy next to me at the movie theatre is "packing heat" just in case the people behind him talk really loud.
Did I mention that he doesn't even believe that you need to lock up your guns in your house , just to prevent the little ones (some call them children) from finding them and blowing their heads off. "Just make sure they're not loaded," he says. Isn't that what every idiot says before his child kills himself with a "not loaded" gun. I saw that episode of Beverly Hills 90210. The kid didn't make it.
You may feel that you have the right to carry a gun on you at all times, but guess what-not everyone feels that way. Not everyone wants to be a member of the NRA. I certainly don't, and I think a lot of people feel that way. And you may think it's a constitutional right to have a gun, and it is. But I have a constitutional right to feel safe, and I don't knowing that any moron can get himself a concealed weapons permit.
Last I checked we didn't live in the Wild, Wild West. The need to have a gun at your waist went out of style a long time ago.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger smithfieldman said...

I'm all for gun control.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger politicchic6 said...

Of course you are, communist.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Big Gay Al said...

Please show me in the Constitution where it says you have a right to feel safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home